Saturday 24 May 2014

STEP 2 The Cuttings - Cloning Rhododendron 'President Roosevelt'

STEP 2 The Cuttings
Choose a branch with new growth shoots - the one I chose had six.  Hopefully this will give me a good chance of at least getting one clone established.


NOTE: Ensure clean cutting surface and implements to minimise bacteria from getting into the shoot.  Ensure that cutting implements are sharp to allow for a clean cut.

I cut each shoot from just below a leaf node to enable rooting from this point.  The whole cutting is around 10cm in length.

I removed the leaves but four and cut the tips of the leaves as shown below.  This is to preserve water in the plant and allow it to focus its energies on root production.

Finally, I cut a 'wound' (slice) into the bottom of the shoot to allow for Step 3 - the hormone application.  The wound will absorb the hormone applied that will stimulate root growth.


No comments:

Post a Comment